Tuesday, March 1, 2022

EXPRESSING COMPLIMENTS AND CONGRATULATION

Expressing compliments

  • That’s a lovely cake.
  • That was a nice lunch.
  • You look good in that dress.
  • What a lovely garden.
  • You’re really a good cook.
  • You’ve done a great job.
  • You did it very well.
  • Well done.
  • You’re doing just fine.
  • You’re doing great.

Responding to compliments

  • Thank you.
  • I’m glad you enjoyed it.
  • Thanks. Do you really think so?
  • Thank you very much. It’s nice of you to say so.
  • I’m glad you like it. Thanks a lot.

Expressions of congratulations

  • Congratulation!
  • Congratulation on your promotion.
  • May I congratulate you on winning the contest?
  • I must congratulate you on your success.
  • Please accept my warmest congratulations on your wedding day.
  • I congratulate you on your being admitted in one of the favorite senior high schools in our district.
  • Please accept my heartiest congratulations.

Respond to congratulations

      • Thanks!
      • Thank you.
      • Thank you very much.

    Example of compliment expression dialogue

    Anisa : Wow! That’s a lovely dress, Dinahyu. Is it new?
    Dinahyu : Yes, it is. Thank you.
    Anisa : The color and the model really look nice on you.
    Dinahyu : Oh, do you really think so? I am really fond of this dress.
    Anisa : Did you make it yourself?
    Dinahyu : Certainly not, Anis. My aunt gave it to me as a birthday gift.
    Anisa : Did she? What a good aunt you have!



    To understand more about the expression of compliment and congratulation, you can watch the following YouTube video.



    Source : Look Ahead Grade X - Penerbit Erlangga

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    SHORT FUNCTIONAL TEXT : ANNOUNCEMENT

    Getting to Know                    Announcement is a form of text that is spoken, written, or printed so that other people know the informat...

    Popular Posts